Homeowners love the warmth, comfort and quiet of carpeted floors. Unfortunately, traditional carpets can contain nasty chemicals like VOCs (volatile organic compounds), and their resource-intensive manufacturing process can be extremely wasteful. FLOR carpet tiles aim to change all that, offering high-performance flooring with an emphasis on sustainability all the way from its design to disposal.
FLOR is a branch of Georgia-based Interface Flooring whose founder, Ray Anderson, is legendary for introducing sustainable business practices long before they were in vogue. According to FLOR, its efforts to establish a “closed-loop” life cycle for its products break down into the following steps of the process:
- Design: FLOR is designed with the end in mind. Our 19.7-inch squares are beautiful, functional and recyclable.
- Manufacturing: Our manufacturing processes are as energy-efficient as possible. We use renewable energy sources and technologies which help reduce our emissions and waste.
- Use: FLOR’s modular, square format means that it is a flexible, practical and scalable design system.
- Delivery: FLOR is efficiently packaged in easy-to-manage boxes delivered direct to your door.
- Reclaiming: FLOR is designed to be taken apart so face fibers and backing materials can be recycled into new product through our Return & Recycle Program.
A closed-loop approach like FLOR’s has the potential to keep billions of pounds of old carpet out of landfills each year. But aside from the environmental benefits, what are some of the day-to-day advantages of FLOR in the home?
Time & Money Savings: The modular design and clever FLORdot adhesive help make installation a breeze. Homeowners can order only what they need, and install FLOR tiles much faster than traditional carpeting.
Indoor Air Quality: Most FLOR tiles meet or exceed Green Label Plus standards for low VOCs. The sturdier styles also retain less dirt and fewer allergens, and FLOR tiles can be easily removed for cleaning when needed.
Durability: FLOR offers a range of textures and styles for any room in the home. Choosing a style that will stand up to real-life usage means it will still look good for a long time down the road.
Easy Maintenance: Besides being easy to clean, the modular nature of FLOR means that a stained or damaged spot can be easily replaced without tearing up an entire floor.
FLOR tiles are available in a wide variety of colors and patterns, and also a variety of weaves and thicknesses. Styles range from soft, plush finishes perfect for a bedroom to a dense, flat weave durable enough for a utility room (or even a garage!)
Learn more, locate a distributor, or shop online at the FLOR website: http://www.flor.com/
(All images courtesy of FLOR/Interface)